Code Compliance Certificate Queries

Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) FAQs

1. What do you inspect during a property inspection?

This very much depends on the stage of the construction at the time of the inspection.  There are a large number of inspection trigger-points, from the siting and foundation work through the various stages of development leading to the final inspection, the main one being before any work is covered up.  Your on-site professionals will know when to call us to book an inspection for the work they are carrying out.  We can carry out inspections within 24 hours of the inspection booking being made, so that your project keeps moving with no unnecessary hold ups.  Points to note:

-  always have your building consent A consent for building work, including plumbing and drainage, to begin in accordance with the approved plans and specifications. A Building Consent is issued by a Building Consent Authority (BCA) and is not a Resource Consent which is issued by a Territorial Authority (TA). plans on site
-  have someone present who knows the project well
-  be ready for the Inspector to avoid the extra cost of additional inspections and site visits

2. What happens if the work doesn't meet the standards?

During the on-site construction process our Inspectors will notify the site contact if there is anything that does not comply.  The Inspectors will leave a note on site highlighting areas that need to be addressed before the work continues.  The site note will be written on the back of the plans or on a Field Note sheet left on site with the plans.  This may involve follow-up inspections being required before approval to continue work is provided.

3. What standards do you use for property inspections?

Our inspections ensure all building projects comply with the Building Code and with any specific conditions and / or specifications that apply to the building consent.

MBC has also been an accredited Building Consent AuthorityA Building Consent Authority (BCA) carries out the following functions: - issues Building Consents, but not if a Building Consent is required to be subject to a waiver or modification of the Building Code - inspects building work for which it has granted a Building Consent - issues Notices to Fix - issues Code Compliance Certificates (CCC) - issues Compliance Schedules since November 2007.

4. How is building work certified?

After the final inspection and when we have received all documents needed to help verify your project, MBC will forward all information to the Council, recommending your Code Compliance Certificate be issued for your project.  Provided the Council is satisfied with the documentation and inspection verification, it will issue your Code Compliance Certificate.

5. How long does it take to get my Code Compliance Certificate?

The time from final inspection and receipt of all documents verifying compliance, to getting your Code Compliance Certificate, could take 7-10 days.  This is important to note when waiting for bank settlement or property handover.  The Statutory timeframe for Council is 20 days for the consideration of the issue of a CCC.  The biggest hold-up can be the payments of any development contributions or additional inspection fees.

Commercial applications are often significantly more complex than residential applications and therefore require more time for audit, preparation of documentation and other associated processes at Council.

6. Do a lot of CCC audits pass or fail?

Generally the audit passes provided the final inspection has passed and all the relevant paperwork has been provided.

7. Can I move into / stay in my house without a CCC?

You can move into your house without a CCC and you are also able to stay in your house if you are making alterations and haven't yet obtained a CCC.  You're not required to have a CCC while undertaking alterations but you should have a Building Consent.

If you have moved into your house before being issued with a Code Compliance CertificateA certificate issued at the completion of building work confirming that the work has been completed in accordance with the Building Consent. you assume responsibility.

8. Can I buy / sell my house without a CCC?

A CCC is not compulsory when buying or selling a house.  However it gives both sellers and buyers the confidence that the house meets the Building Code.

A developer can sell a house without a CCC but both the vendor and purchaser should seek legal advice as the legislation around this can be complex.